Monday 8 December 2014

No7 Advent Calendar - Week 1

Hello everyone,

I love advent calendars. Each year we have a refillable snowman one and I love it. But for the past few years I have longed and longed for a beauty advent calendar. They are kind of expensive and I have never persuaded my mum to let me have one. But this year, I saw No7 had an advent calendar which didn't seem to be too expensive. I went shopping with my nan one Saturday and showed it to her when the woman behind the No7 counter told me that it was the last one and my nan decided to proclaim to the shop that we would be buying the last No7 advent calendar in the Bury St Edmunds branch of Boots.

So on the 1st December, I no longer had to gaze at its beautifulness; I could actually open it! So I thought that I would review each product that I've had from it in week 1...


1st December: No7 Skin Illuminator in Peach


When I used this on Monday night under concealer I was not a fan. I thought it looked way to shimmery and made my face need a lot more coverage and base from foundation. On Wednesday however, I wore it on top of foundation and underneath powder as I was going out for a meal. I have to say that this worked a lot better on my face. I think that it is so good and because of it, I have worn it every day since. It is the best highlighter I have ever used. A lot of highlighters tend to be highly pigmented, powdery and hard to blend but this is just perfect. I use the Real Techniques contour brush to blend it and they are a match made in heaven. I would recommend this to be used on top or underneath powder but not on its own as it does make your face look very shimmery.

2nd December: High Shine Lip Crayon in Daydreamer


Now you know I'm a lippy girl and when I saw this I have to admit, I did squeal a little bit. Most of my lip products are bold matte shades which I tend to go for on a day to day basis, but sometimes all a girl wants is a nude and subtle lip. I don't own many nude lip crayons and so to add this to my collection was a nice treat. I was worried however that it wouldn't look brilliant or wouldn't add any sort of definition to the lips but boy was I proved wrong. I really love this product and because it is a miniature, it means that it is perfect to fit in a handbag or schoolbag. I am just really happy with this product. I only have one other No7 lip crayon and so to add this to my collection is great.

3rd December: No7 Eye Colour Brush


Any chance that I can add brushes to my collection I will grasp with both hands. However, this brush did disappoint me a bit. I feel like it is similar to the free brush you get with the Naked palette. It seems soft but it is very hard to use to work product onto the eye. You can only apply eyeshadow using it flat and I am a lover of blending and this can't be used to blend properly I don't think so I feel this lets it down. However, it is a good size to pack in a travel makeup bag - not so small you lose it but not so big that you can't fit it in somewhere.

4th December: No7 Youthful Eye Serum


Now I was unsure of this product to begin with. When looking at the contents of the calendar, I was worried about some of the skincare items. I feel like No7 skincare is focussed more for mature skin and I briefed my mum that she may be getting the skincare items but sorry mum, I am very happy with this eye serum. I try to use it in the mornings when I get up and before I go to bed in the evening. I still have young skin so wasn't sure if this would actually make a difference for me but already after about 6 applications I can tell that it has made me look more awake and my eyes look widened and brighter. It works wonders without lots of highlight and light eyeliner colours - a very simple and easy thing to add into my daytime and nighttime routines.

5th December: No7 Stay Perfect Nail Colour in Highland Mist


I would have to say though that this is my least favourite product which I got this week. I really am a sucker for nail polishes too but when I saw the colour I didn't really think that it was me. I showed it to mum and she loved it. But I couldn't review it if I didn't try it so I painted my nails on Friday night with it and by Saturday afternoon it was chipping and peeling off. I don't have to do too much hard work with my hands as I no longer clean but if I was cleaning and had this nail polish on, I wouldn't bet on it lasting more than 12 hours. I think that it looks best in the more Autumn/Winter months but I don't think that it suits my skin tone so it is one that mum cannot wait to use.

6th December: No7 Lash Impact Mascara in Black


After seeing this recently being released I always wanted to try it and what better way to try it than in a miniature size. However I am a little fussy when it comes to mascaras. I only tend to use plastic wands which look more like combs than the furry fibre-y ones. I think that I might be getting converted though. I really like the brush and think it gives a beautiful natural look. I normally go for a bold and full lash look but sometimes it looks best to have natural looking lashes and wish the makeup looks I do for school, I think it will look perfect for school. This will be great to have in my handbag or schoolbag for a daytime look or for a top up in the evening.

7th December: No7 Stay Perfect Eyeshadow Good Earth Trio (middle shade)


Finally is the single eyeshadow which comes from the Good Earth trio. I really like this eyeshadow. It is a beautiful grey-brown shade with the perfect amount of shimmer. Sometimes shimmery eyeshadows end up going all over my face and I think that you need such a gentle hand to apply them but this is brilliant. I think that it looks good on its own or blended with a lighter and darker shade. I used them with some Revlon eyeshadows and it looked brilliant. It is so easy to blend out and is just really good for daytime and nighttime looks. I am very happy with this eyeshadow and I don't think that it looks like a miniature. It is perfect travel size but also a brilliant eyeshadow to grab everyday for your everyday makeup use.

So they were my reviews of my No7 advent calendar treats from week 1. I am looking forward to what else I may get from the advent calendar and check back next week for the second week of treats and their reviews.

Let me know if you are loving any No7 products for this time of year. Also if you have advent calendars, chocolate or non-chocolate, I'd love to know what you have.

So until next time lovelies xx

No comments:

Post a Comment