Monday 24 November 2014

My Top 3 - Burgundy Nail Varnishes

Hello everyone,

Sorry I didn't post yesterday, I was up in Nottingham all weekend and wasn't able to write and post in time. It's the end of November, and I feel its time to get a bit more festive and embrace the best autumnal colour - burgundy!

So in these Autumn/Winter months, I change my beauty and skincare routines and the products I use within them. This includes nail varnishes. In the spring and summer months I am a sucker for pretty pastel colours and some bright gel like nails. At this time of year however I get very excited not just because I start to feel festive but for another reason - burgundy nail varnishes are in!

If you know me, you will know I am a sucker for all things burgundy whether this be jumpers, scarves, lipsticks (of course) and nail varnishes. Because of this, I own about 10 different burgundy nail varnishes and being honest with you, if I applied a different one on each nail it would probably be very hard to tell which nail varnish was which. But I do have three favourite burgundy nail varnishes which I go back to using all the time...

Barry M Raspberry, Avon Nailwear Pro+ Cherry Jubilee, Revlon Parfumerie Bordeaux

Firstly, I am going to begin with my favourite and first Barry M nail varnish. I got this last year some time and for Christmas requested every berry/red/purple toned nail varnish after falling in love with it so much (and so quickly!) This is the Barry M Nail Polish Paint in 273 Raspberry...


It is just such a great product which I return to every time I need to paint my nails a lovely burgundy colour. First of all, it is so cheap! £2.99 for a nail varnish which lasts for ages and is just such great quality is nothing. I mean I am a sucker for more expensive nail varnishes like Essie or Nails Inc or Sally Hansen or OPI but Barry M have such an array of colours, there is something for everyone. They are often on 3 for 2 or buy one get one half price too so when I go into town, I always look in Boots and Superdrug to see if I can be tempted to buying a new one (and yes I tend to do this). Even though they are long lasting, they are easy to remove if you're in a rush.

It is a really nice shade of burgundy that looks good when in jogging bottoms, jeans, or on a night out. It is also a shade which looks good on both fingernails and toenails. I don't think its pigmentation does it justice though. It is quite watery and you need about four or five coats to make it look good enough to go out but when it is complete, it looks so professional and high quality. It also is really fast drying and I think that this is because of the watery formula. It is a lovely red colour but with pink undertones which makes it look like a perfect autumnal burgundy. The brush is a good size to apply the polish and not too flimsy.

The next nail varnish which I use a lot is the Avon Nailwear Pro+ in Cherry Jubilee...


These nail varnishes are all round brilliant. They have amazing pigmentation and formula and this is consistent throughout all Avon nail varnishes. It only really requires two coats for it to go opaque and become wearable for a night out. It is so easy to apply and doesn't leave streaks or stripes on the nail. It is very durable and therefore hard to chip but depending on the level of work you complete, it may vary. I think that this is because of the acrylic gel it includes in the ingredients to enhance strength. It claims to have 12 days of lasting colour and I have to agree 100% that the colour is brilliant.

The Avon Nailwear Pro+ nail varnishes work wonders on the strength of my nails. My nails are weak and brittle and peel all the time but this formula of nail varnish does wonders to improve my nails. It is a good size bottle and has lasted me a long time as the nail varnish is thick enough that you don't have to keep reapplying more coats to build up the colour or prevent chips. Once again, this is a good shade to wear on both fingernails and toenails. The only downside of this product is that it does take a bit of time to dry otherwise it will smudge a lot or leave that fabric imprint in the nail. I also own Avon's nail varnish in Tweed which is a bit darker and I love that too but I feel that Cherry Jubilee is easier to work with and can be worn with pretty much everything regardless of occasion. At £6 I will continue to buy it forever!

Finally, the newest burgundy nail varnish I own. This is Revlon's Parfumerie Scented Nail Enamel in Bordeaux...


This is one of my top 3 burgundy nail varnishes but it nearly didn't make the cut. I feel that there are many problems with this nail varnish but because of a few really good advantages, I put it in my top 3. Lets talk about the cons first. First of all I would have to say that this is the thinest and wateriest nail varnish I own. The formula is so hard to work with. As soon as you apply it to your nails, it runs straight down and leaves a pool of colour near the cuticle. It also needs a lot of coats to finally become opaque. Another reason I bought it was because of some apparent scent it was supposed to have but I don't really see it as any different to other nail varnishes. I don't think spending £6.49 on it for the scent was truly a brilliant idea as I am disappointed. But when I wear it I do get many compliments which make me realise there was a good purchase made. I only tend to wear it on my fingernails as I don't think it is the best shade to wear on toenails.

This nail varnish is so quick drying though and this is the best thing about it because when having to apply endless coats, it needs to dry fast otherwise you would be painting your nails all night and wouldn't therefore be able to go out. The brush for this I would have to say is my favourite part of the product. The handle is so easy to hold and even with its obscure shape, it is easy to control and enables the nails to be painted evenly and efficiently. The brush is also good but not one of the best I have seen. It also doesn't need a topcoat which saves on time. The colour of this nail varnish is very similar to a lot of others out there both cheaper and expensive but it would be up to you whether or not to try this product as it may work out better for you than it does for me.

So that was my top 3 burgundy nail varnishes that I love and tend to go back to. If you don't own at least one of these in your nail varnish collection, then you are missing out big time! Let me know any of your favourite burgundy nail varnishes as I am always looking to purchase more, especially at this time of year.

So until next time lovelies xx

No comments:

Post a Comment